12 May 2008

Adventures on Lake Washington

The threatened rain didn't materialize Saturday, so we unpacked our new inflatable kayak and headed down to Lake Washington with Dan's brother and his wife. We found a sandy entrance to the water, so we brought out the kayaks down to the shore. Inflation was a bit trickier than it sounded - but eventually we were ready to go. The girls climbed in the backs of the kayaks while the boys held them steady, and then they climbed in the fronts. We started to head away from the shore. Within about 7 seconds Dan & I were grabbing the sides and hoping we didn't capsize! We wiggled around and settled ourselves more firmly and them pressed on with our adventure. It took a minute or two to follow the other kayak out beyond the signs; from the lake we could read the "no boating" signs just fine. Oops.

So we followed the shore for a half mile or so, looking for a public beach where we would be allowed to kayak in the future. Unfortunately all we saw were bigger and fancier houses the further we went. For a while I thought it was raining, until I realized that was just my paddle dripping on me when I raised it up over my head. I wish we could've taken pictures, but my camera is definitely not waterproof. We made it back safely and packed up our kayaks. Next time we'll look for a beach where boating is allowed.

3 comments:

JennyW said...

Sounds like fun—did you guys rent the kayaks or buy them?

Julie C said...

We bought them from Costco - if we like the inflatable ones enough then maybe someday we'll splurge and get real kayaks.

aubreyannie said...

i'm glad they worked out perfect for you! it sounds like it was a nice trip, even if it was illegal..ha ha.