28 May 2008

Hands

They held me close against her chest
and taught me how to cuddle,
They sought out the most ticklish spots
and attacked them until I shrieked with laugher,
They showed me patiently over and over
until I could tie my own shoes,
They scolded, reprimanding even as they said
it was only because she loves me,
They cooked and cleaned and scrubbed and served
and taught me to do the same,
They pushed me away when we argued
and held on tight when we made up,
They dialed that long distance number
so we could talk when I was far away,
And every night, before they turned down
the covers, they folded in prayer.

2 comments:

aubreyannie said...

whose hands are these?

Julie C said...

I have to get a real picture of my mom's hands to fit better - I just found one on the internet for now.