27 May 2010

Acupuncture

Well, I went. I'm reserving judgement until next time though.

I walk into the office - they use 3 rooms inside a nice-looking physical therapy place in a fairly new building, so it all looks okay. The lady at the front desk is nice and friendly and quickly gets my paperwork sorted out and puts me in a room to wait for the doctor. He comes in and reviews my health history (which did take a few minutes) and then we actually try some acupuncture.

The doctor didn't tell me what to expect to feel afterwards - he just said we'd talk after and see if he thought he could help me or not. I didn't feel much; I just held very very still for about 15 minutes. It was pretty relaxing.

Afterwards I actually felt a little more sore, and told him this. So he smiled and was happy and said that he had been trying to aggravate it a little - like pushing on a bruise - to see if he found the injury. So now I'm more sore than usual. Thanks. Although I guess if he told me that ahead of time then I might have psyched myself into a false reaction.

For now I'm coming back next week and we'll see if he can make things feel better instead of worse. My opinion is on the fence right now.

3 comments:

Recession Cone said...

A scientific basis for Acupuncture?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20006371-247.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

aubreyannie said...

i've been thinking about you!!

and wow!!! i'm so impressed that you did acupuncture. i am curious to know what you think if you've been back a second time???

JennyW said...

You're brave (you are my sister Julie, right? The one who faints at the mention of a needle? :)

Seriously though, I'd give it a shot (no pun intended). My doctor, my physical therapist, and my current massage therapist have all brought that up as a possible treatment for the inflammation I can't seem to get rid of (and that's worse now. yuck.) But I think it's like physical therapy: you have to go for a bit before you see results.