20 June 2010

Being Adventurous - Food Box Week 1

I've always liked the idea of signing up for a local food box - perhaps because I somehow got on a mailing list about CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). This year I did it. I signed up.

And waited.

And waited.

And now it is officially the start of the summer food box season! The box I signed up for lets me actually choose what goes into it each week. And there were lots of choices. Since I'm not supposed to get too much vitamin K right now (just until September) I will be branching out and trying some new things.

This week my box held this:



See if you can find all 8 veggies - the red lettuce, Bibb lettuce, chives, spring onions, fresh garlic, turnips, easter egg radishes, and carrots. Tonight we're having some kind of yummy salad with dinner!

For next week, I have new choices, like snow peas, beets, and peas that you have to shell to eat. Along with many types of greens, spices, and wheat berries. I'm excited!

2 comments:

valaasb said...

Fresh shelled peas are yummy, that's my vote for you! Enjoy your produce, I might have to since up for a box once we're back in Madison as I know someone who did it this year.

aubreyannie said...

i want to hear more about this. how much it cost, if you like it, if you'll do it again. etc. please, more details!!